.MUNIMUNI NG IBANG TAO, ATBP.

those who can play with words are meant to be read and reread.

"Human child," said the Lion, "Where is the boy?"
"He fell over the cliff," said Jill, and added, "Sir." She didn't know what else to call him, and it sounded cheek to call him nothing.
"How did he come to do that, Human Child?"
"He was trying to stop me from falling, Sir."
"Why were you so near the edge, Human Child?"
"I was showing off, Sir."
"That is a very good answer, Human Child. Do so no more."
C.S. Lewis, The Silver Chair (558)

Friday, June 03, 2005

an excerpt from Kitchen

These women lived their lives happily. They had been taught, probably by caring parents, not to exceed the boundaries of their happiness regardless of what they were doing. But therefore they could never know real joy. Which is better? Who can say? Everyone lives the way she knows best. What I mean by "their happiness" is living a life untouched as much as possible by the knowledge that we are really, all of us, alone. That's not a bad thing. Dressed in their aprons, their smiling faces like flowers, learning to cook, absorbed in their little troubles and perplexities, they fall in love and marry. I think that's great. I wouldn't mind that kind of life. Me, when i'm utterly exhausted by it all, when my skin breaks out, on those lonely evenings when I call my friends again and again and nobody's home, then I despise my own life -- my birth, my upbringing, everything. I feel only regret for the whole thing.

But -- that one summer of bliss. In that kitchen.

I was not afraid of burns or scars; I didn't suffer from sleepless nights. Every day I thrilled with pleasure at the challenges tommorow would bring. Memorizing the recipe , I would make carrot cakes that included a bit of my soul. At the supermarket I would stare at a bright red tomato, loving it for dear life. Having known such joy, there was no going back.

No matter what, I want to continue living with the awareness that I will die. Without that, I am not alive. That is what makes the life I have now possible.

Inching one's way along a steep cliff in the dark: on reaching the highway, one breathes a sigh of relief. Just when one can't take any more, one sees the moonlight. Beauty that seems to infuse itself into the heart: I know about that.

--an excerpt from Kitchen, a novel by Banana Yoshimoto

2 Comments:

  • At 2:18 AM, Blogger mads said…

    hi jo: what banana yoshimoto novel do you suggest one should read first?

     
  • At 10:37 AM, Blogger montalut said…

    hi mads, i've only read three of her novels (kitchen, sleep [or was it asleep?], and NP). without really thinking about it, i ended up saving the best (kitchen) for last. aptly so, i think. :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home